Friday, August 6, 2010

Stupid Idiots

Why is he/she being such an idiot? There is no such thing as irrational behavior. However irrational someone’s behavior looks to you, it is completely rational to them, given the information, thoughts, feelings, beliefs and programs they have at the time they take the action. I do great damage to my relationship with someone when, in a conflict with them, I come from the assumption that they are acting irrationally or stupidly. How do you feel when you are doing something that makes sense to you, and the other person tells you that you are an idiot for behaving that way?

A much better approach is to work as hard as needed to see the world through his/her eyes so that I UNDERSTAND why they are acting the way they are. Only after I have that understanding do I have any chance of finding common ground with them, resolving the conflict, and coming up with a plan that will allow us each to fulfill our goals and objectives. Wouldn't you rather have the result than the judgment? Which “idiot” are you going to seek to understand today?

No comments:

Post a Comment